AAP National Convenor and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday took his anti- demonetisation pitch to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Lok Sabha constituency of Varanasi and described the measure as the “biggest scam of independent India.” Taking a jibe at the Modi government for announcing the plan , Arvind Kejriwal said the objective behind Demonetisation measure of eliminating black money, corruption, fake currency and terrorism was neither fulfilled nor will it ever be.”
This was not the first time Kerjrwal has taken up the issue. At a rally in Azadpur Mandi on November 17, Kejriwal, along with West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee, lead the protest against the central government. Kejriwal and Banerjee served an ultimatum to the Modi-led NDA government, asking it roll back the decision, saying demonetisation will take the country backward by 100 years.
Here are Arvind Kejriwal’s top quotes from the Varanasi rally:
- “The Prime Minister has used the excuse of Black money to announce the demonetisation plan, which has lead to chaos and confusion though out the country. People people had lost their work, their occupation and their jobs because of the announcement. People don’t even have food to eat in their houses.”
- “I had met a farmer in a village near Amritsar, who had saved money his entire life for his daughter wedding. But when he went to withdraw the money after the demanietisation was announced, the bank manager only gave him Rs 2000. “
- “The farmer committed suicide because he could not get the money. I want to know whether that farmer had black money stashed away in his house.”
- “Over 84 people have died in the country. When will Modi ji wake-up to this reality.”
- “The 84 people did not die, but they have been murder.”