The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Monday said that seven Indian nationals, who were abducted at Asshwerif in Libya on September 14, were released on October 11.
“We are happy to inform that the seven Indian nationals who had been abducted at Asshwerif in Libya on 14 September were finally released yesterday (October 11). Our Ambassador to Tunisia Shri Puneet Roy Kundal spoke to them over phone after they were handed over by the abductors to the company Al Shola Al Mudia. All of them are in good health and are currently staying in the company’s premises in Brega. We are trying to complete requisite formalities to enable their return to India.”
It also said, “We convey our sincere thanks to the Libyan authorities and the tribal elders from the region for their steadfast cooperation in securing the release of our nationals unharmed. Both our Ambassador to Tunisia and our local consular staff were in constant touch with them and the company all through the crisis.”
The Ministry said that it would like to reiterate that there is ban on travel of Indian nationals to Libya, irrespective of the purpose, since May 2016, due to the security situation there.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines