Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, in an amendment to tax proposals in the Finance Bill 2017-18, made it mandatory for all individuals to link PAN Card with Aadhaar, irrespective of whether the person files income tax returns (ITRs) or not. The deadline to do so, as of now, is March 31, 2018. If one fails to link Aadhaar with PAN by the final deadline, he/she may not be able to get his/her tax returns processed by the tax department.
The government has already extended the deadline thrice, from July 31 to August 5 and then once again to August 31, due to difficulties faced by taxpayers while filing their income tax returns.
It is fairly simple to link your Aadhaar with PAN card. Here is a quick guide:
* Usually a pop-up will appear on screen asking you to Link with Aadhaar card. If you are using a pop-up blocker, then click on Link Aadhaar on the left side.
* You will land on a page where you will have to submit all your details- PAN, Aadhaar number, Name as per Aadhaar. In case anyone’s Aadhaar application is under process, they can submit the Application number issued by UIDAI.
* Verify the “Captcha Code” and click on green-coloured button with “Link Aadhar” written on it.
* After successful validation of your Aadhaar, your Aadhaar will get automatically linked to your PAN card, which will be verified to you by a pop-up on screen verifying the same.
* You will also receive a SMS or an email from the Income Tax Department notifying the same.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines