This is the first major bypoll after the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) swept to power last May and Telangana became a separate state. After nearly 17 months of rule, the TRS government claims it has done a lot of good work like ensuring 24 hours power supply, housing for the poor, etc, and so people are enthusiastic in support of the TRS.
The TRS is in a very strong position in Warangal where elections will be held on November 21. There is little opposition because the Congress had to replace its candidate Sircilla Rajaiah, former MP, who landed in controversy after his daughter-in-law committed suicide along with his three grandsons. The Congress replaced him with another former MP, Sarvey Satyanarayana. However, the Congress ran out of steam after the Rajaiah incident.
- Telangana: Homes with banners pledging support to Harish Rao greet rivals
- Telangana polls: ‘BJP not in picture, fight between TRS and Congress’
- Grand alliance will win Telangana Assembly polls: Congress
- Our govt will turn CM house into hospital: Telangana Congress leader
- Telanagana’s development not possible under Rahul Gandhi or KCR: Amit Shah
- KCR calls Rahul Gandhi ‘biggest buffoon’ of the country, dismisses rumours about pact with BJP
The TRS candidate Pasunuri Dayakar is likely to win with a good majority. In spite of issues like farmer suicides and a delay in the recruitment for government jobs – issues which the Congress, YSRCP, BJP-TDP and the Left may raise — sentiments for TRS and particularly for Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao run very high in the constituency.
While the BJP has negligible presence in Warangal, the TDP has some support base but the candidate chosen by the BJP-TDP, US returned doctor P Devaiah is not making much headway in his campaign. No senior BJP or TDP leader has campaigned for him except for Telangana BJP unit president G Kishan Reddy.
Reddy says that KCR and TRS have failed to deliver on their election promises and people were unhappy. Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee president N Uttam Kumar also accuses the TRS government of bad governance and not delivering.