Follow Us:
Thursday, January 20, 2022

Rahul Gandhi’s past businesses: A BPO firm, shops, land

Here’s the summary of Rahul’s commercial dealings over the years, as submitted in his affidavits to the Election Commission, and in filings to the Registrar of Companies.

Written by Manoj C G | New Delhi |
Updated: November 18, 2015 9:35:41 am
rahul gandhi, bihar, bihar elections, bihar polls, modi, narendra modi, pm modi, rahul latest news Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi.

BJP leader Subramanian Swamy has alleged that Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi had declared himself a British citizen with a UK address in documents related to a company called Backops Limited that he floated in that country in 2003. The Congress has rejected the allegation, and said “somebody (may have) committed an error while uploading (the document)”.

Here’s the summary of Rahul’s commercial dealings over the years, as submitted in his affidavits to the Election Commission, and in filings to the Registrar of Companies.

Backops Services Private Limited

This New Delhi-based start-up BPO company with an authorised capital of Rs 25 lakh is believed to have been incorporated in 2002. Backops is said to have been a call centre-like operation providing engineering detail and structural planning services to large overseas civil engineering firms. The election affidavit filed by Rahul Gandhi in 2004 showed he owned 83 per cent share in Backops.

In 2004, the capital investment of the company amounted to Rs 2.5 lakh, and it had a bank balance of Rs 3 lakh. The other director in the company was said to be Rahul’s family friend, Manoj Muttu.


Subsequently, Rahul transferred his stake in the company to his sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra. Documents filed by Backops Services Private Limited in 2010 show that Priyanka had 91.67 per cent holding in the company. She was appointed an Additional Director on March 25, 2009. The remaining 8.33 per cent stake was held by Muttu.

Backops Limited

This company was incorporated in the United Kingdom in 2003. Rahul was one of the company’s two directors — the other being a US citizen named Ulrik McKnight. According to Rahul’s 2004 election affidavit, the bank account of Backops Limited with HSBC UK had a balance of US $ 18,600. The firm was dissolved in 2009.


Rahul had purchased two shops in Metropolitan Mall in Saket in New Delhi in 2006, with super built-up areas of 514.44 square feet and 996.98 square feet. In his 2009 election affidavit, Rahul had declared that the combined value of these two properties stood at around Rs 1.63 crore. He sold the shops for Rs 5.28 crore some time in 2012-13.

Other properties

Rahul purchased two commercial properties in Gurgaon’s Signature Towers-II. He booked these properties in October 2010 — one for over Rs 1.44 crore, the other for Rs 5.36 crore.


Rahul bought 6 acres, 3 kanals and 13 marlas of land in Mauja-Hasanpur village in Hodal Tehsil of Faridabad district in 2008. In 2012, he gifted this land to his sister Priyanka without any monetary consideration.

Rahul Gandhi's affidavit – 2014

Rahul Gandhi affidavit 2009

Rahul Gandhi affidavit 2004

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Explained News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by