Explained Snippets | NEET: 6.35 lakh clear unreserved cutoff, 58% of them OBC, SC, ST

Of those who qualified, 54,653 (17% of the 3,27,575) scored between 118 and 96 marks, which puts them in the 40th percentile range.

By: Express News Service | Updated: June 6, 2018 8:09:34 am
NEET: 6.35 lakh clear unreserved cutoff, 58% of them OBC, SC, ST NEET candidates celebrate in Bikaner after the results were declared Monday. PTI

Of the 3.28 lakh OBC candidates who cleared the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for medical and allied courses Monday, 2.73 lakh scored over the cutoff (50th percentile) that makes them eligible for admission under the general category. This is more than the total applicants who qualified under the unreserved category — which is 2.68 lakh.

The cutoff is the 50th percentile for the unreserved category and the 40th percentile for the OBC, SC and ST categories. Overall, the number of candidates who have crossed the 50th percentile is 6.35 lakh; these include 3.67 lakh students (57%) who also belong to various reserved categories.

Of the 5,56,621 OBC candidates who appeared for the test, 3,27,575 qualified. Of those who qualified, 54,653 (17% of the 3,27,575) scored between 118 and 96 marks, which puts them in the 40th percentile range. The remaining 2.72 lakh (83%) scored between 691 and 119 marks — the 50th percentile.

***

Tip for Reading List

Atheists In America Are More Religious Than Europeans

rihanna at the met gala Rihanna attends The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute benefit gala celebrating the opening of the Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination exhibition on Monday, May 7, 2018, in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP/File)

An atheist, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is someone “who denies or disbelieves the existence of God”. However, a recent study published by the Pew Research Center, in which more than 24,000 individuals from across 15 countries in Western Europe were surveyed, and the results compared to data gathered in the United States, suggests many who identify themselves as atheists are still “religious” . The study has found that Americans are more religious than Western Europeans — “half of Americans (53%) say religion is ‘very important’ in their lives, compared with a median of just 11% of adults across Western Europe”.

The study also found that American “nones” (those who identify themselves as an atheist, agnostic or nothing in particular) are more religious than European “nones”. Another key finding is that “American ‘nones’ are as religious as — or even more religious than — Christians in several European countries, including France, Germany and the UK.

For all the latest Explained News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement