TMC spokesperson and the party’s Rajya Sabha MP Derek O’ Brien has further embarrassed the party which is trying so hard to see the back of the alleged Narada sting operation.
The flash presser he conducted at his office in BJP style with photographs and videos played on a big screen, misfired. Not only did the picture of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh feeding sweets to former general secretary of CPI M Prakash Karat turn out to be morphed but now both the CPI M and the BJP have dragged the matter to court.
The TMC spokesperson tried to make light of the matter by saying ‘it was a mistake of the research team’ and that it was ‘no big deal’. Party leader Mamata Banerjee must have been aware of O’Brien’s attempt to salvage the party’s lost pride – many say it was at her behest that he went ahead with without checking the authenticity of the frozen frames.
Since the first set of video clips were released by Narada News on March 14, TMC leaders have been at their wits end on how to deal with the attack which came from such unknown quarters, catching them off guard. Mamata seemed as confused as anyone else in the party.
- Actor Farhan Akhtar highlights ‘glaring error’ in a Bengali school textbook, government responds
- Assam NRC draft: Opposition parties target govt in Parliament, cite ‘human rights’
- Power failure behind RSTV blackout of Derek O’Brien’s speech, probe reveals
- When Trinamool leader Derek O’Brien used a football metaphor for Sitaram Yechury’s Rajya Sabha farewell
- Narada News CEO on bribery sting: Man who gave TMC leaders money counters ‘donation’ claim: ‘It was bribe’
- TMC leaders ‘stung’ again: Fresh Narada tapes released
Her initial reaction, not a knee-jerk one, came after a week and then all she said was that the video had been doctored. Later top brass party members followed suit; party vice-president Mukul Roy at a press conference said this video was as fake as the ones which featured the then BJP president Bangaru Laxman accepting money.
However, the videos featuring Laxman were proved to be genuine so Roy cannot take much comfort from that comparison. TMC leaders have come up with different versions of explanations for the video, from being fake to saying the money was a donation not taken for personal use.
The latest explanation came for ‘Didi’ who said that had she known about the matter earlier, she would not have allotted party tickets to those leaders.