- Oppo F9 Pro launch in India highlights: Oppo F9 priced at Rs 19,990; Oppo F9 Pro at Rs 23,990
- Kerala floods LIVE: All affected tracks restored, says Indian Railway; normal rail traffic to begin from today
- India vs England 3rd Test Day 4 Live Cricket Score Streaming, Ind vs Eng Live Score: 100-run stand for Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes makes India toil
Funnywoman Ellen DeGeneres has revealed her father found it a challenge to have an openly gay child because he worried about how it would affect her life.
The 58-year-old star came out gay in 1997 and she admits it wasn’t easy for her father, insurance agent Elliott Everett DeGeneres, to deal with because he wanted her to have a quiet life and was the opposite of her sassy mother Betty DeGeneres, reported Hello! magazine.
- Sakshi Malik and Satyawart Kadian: Floored on the mat
- Rainbow at the end of the road: Queer resistance to Section 377
- Now You See Her, Now You Don’t: The invisible lives of queer women in India
- How Kannada writer Vasudhendra’s book became a lifeline for gay men living double lives in Karnataka
- WATCH: Why Ellen DeGeneres is ‘responsible’ for Meghan Markle’s royal wedding?
- WATCH: When Ellen DeGeneres cried with Barack Obama at the White House (after she had trouble getting in!)
“My parents divorced when I was young – they were very different personalities. My mother is a strong woman, sarcastic and sassy, and I learnt how to be a tough woman from her. My dad is a wonderful man but he has a lot of fear and he was overprotective of me.
“He didn’t want me to hurt myself so he wanted me to be nice and quiet all the time and not really argue or speak my opinion. So imagine his challenge of having an openly gay child…,” Ellen said.