November 5, 2016 4:59:49 pm
In a five-part miniseries, Mildred Pierce tells the tale of an overprotective, self-sacrificing mother, Mildred (Kate Winslet). Set in the time of America’s Great Depression the series tells a tale of a divorced woman who tries living on her own by opening a restaurant. Alongside her already terrible life, she is trying to earn the respect of her spoiled, narcissistic daughter Veda Pierce’s (Evan Rachel Wood). Eventually, she falls in love with Monty Beragon (Guy Pearce) and there the story starts.
It is one of the rare series that carries integrity while casting many of the Oscar-winning stars.
1. The film based on the mini-series won nine prestigious awards including Golden Globe, Primetime Emmy and Screen Actors Guild Awards
Best of Express Premium
2. Kate Winslet, Guy Pearce and Evan Rachel Wood were all nominated for Golden Globe and Primetime Emmy awards. Winslet and Pearce won. The mini-series also won awards for its casting and direction and was nominated in all categories
3. This was Kate Winslet’s hardest shoot since Titanic. The whole miniseries ends in nearly five hours.
4. It was on the sets of Mildred Pierce that Kate Winslet confessed that Guy Pearce had been one of her biggest crushes ever since she was a teenager in the UK and he had a role on the long-running Australian soap opera Neighbours in 1985.
5. If you were impressed by the various costumes donned by Kate Winslet in The Dress Maker, you might be more impressed with the 66 different costume used by the actress on this set.
6. Oh and did you know Guy Pearce is dating to the Red Woman of Game of Thrones?
7. In case you have not been able to recognise Evan Rachel Wood, she is one of the lead cast members of Jonathan Nolan’s Westworld. There she shares the screen with other famous faces of Hollywood like Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, James Marsden and Thandie Newton
8. Lena Dunham of ‘Girls’ fame was cast in a brief role as a nurse on Mildred Pierce but was fired and replaced later.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.