HBO has officially announced that the first Game of Thrones prequel to see the light of the day will be titled House of the Dragon. It was earlier reported that the show focusing on Targaryen heritage was in the works. House of the Dragon will be based on George RR Martin’s book Fire and Blood which tells the history of old Targaryen kings. It will be directed by Miguel Sapochnik and written by Ryan Condal.
The announcement came on the official Twitter handle of Game of Thrones. “#HouseOfTheDragon, a #GameofThrones prequel is coming to @HBO. The series is co-created by @GRRMSpeaking and Ryan Condal. Miguel Sapochnik will partner with Condal as showrunner and will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Condal will be writing the series,” read the tweet.
The series is co-created by @GRRMSpeaking and Ryan Condal. Miguel Sapochnik will partner with Condal as showrunner and will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Condal will be writing the series. pic.twitter.com/9ttMzElgXm
— Game of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) October 29, 2019
Commenting on the recent development, Casey Bloys, president of HBO programming told Variety in a statement, “The Game of Thrones universe is so rich with stories. We look forward to exploring the origins of House Targaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan and George.”
After a successful eight-season run, Game of Thrones concluded in May 2019.
The prequel series starring Naomi Watts, tentatively titled Bloodmoon, was expected to be the first prequel series of the show but as per Deadline, the show recently got the axe. The show’s pilot was filmed in Northern Ireland amid much fanfare but seems like the pilot has not pleased HBO. Watts had earlier told Variety, “I’m super thrilled. It’s such a great group of people. And they did such a great job. It was one of the most phenomenal things that’s happened on TV… I’m super excited. That’s all I can say.”
Even George RR Martin had hinted at some key elements of the Naomi Watts show that built up the audience’s expectations. In May, George RR Martin had mentioned on his blog that out of the five series scripts commissioned by HBO in form of GoT prequels, three were still moving ahead. It now looks like out of those three, one has drooped out.
The straight-to-series order for House of the Dragon was made on Tuesday as part of WarnerMedia’s HBO Max presentation. The cast and on-air date of the drama series haven’t been announced yet.