It was not a usual humdrum year of “saas-bahu” sagas on the Indian television. From stepping into the past for a historical affair, giving visual transition to the tales of Indian mythologies to a dose of horror, the stories on the small screen opted for non-conventional path to entertain audiences in 2015.
The fiction canvas of the small screen was filled with myriad hues but love stories with fresh approach, daily soaps reflecting changing times, mythological subjects and supernatural twists surged ahead of the rest. This is evident from the success of “Ye Hai Mohabbatein”, “Meri Aashiqui Tum Se Hi” and “Bharat Ka Veer Putra – Maharana Pratap”.
When Bollywood’s “Desi girl” Priyanka Chopra was busy making inroads into the international fiction TV space, a bevy of stars like Shahid Kapoor, Hrithik Roshan and Sonakshi Sinha took a plunge from the big to small screen. They were seen judging reality shows. And Arjun Kapoor also was charged up to make his television debut with “filmy keeda” through “‘Khatron Ke Khiladi” in January.
It was also a year of comebacks. Amitabh Bachchan became host for “Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi”, Salman Khan came back as a host of “Bigg Boss”, Shah Rukh Khan donned the host’s hat for “India Poochega – Sabse Shaana Kaun?” and Farhan Akhtar was seen hosting “I Can Do That”.
Here is a list of the shows that clicked with the audience. While some might have gone off air, they have surely left behind an impression.
* “Ye Hai Mohabbatein”: Launched in 2013 with Divyanka Tripathi and Karan Patel as main leads, the Star Plus show has managed to maintain a grip on audience’s attention. The show initially revolved around how the protagonists come together for the sake of a child, but has gradually moved ahead.
* “Meri Aashiqui Tum Se Hi”: As the name aptly suggests, the show, aired on Colors channel, is all about love, romance and mushy stuff. It narrates how two best friends find love in each other, and how their bond gets challenged by various circumstances and conspiracies. The show found its way onto the small screen in 2014 with Radhika Madan and Shakti Arora as the lead.
* “Kumkum Bhagya”: It was a lucky year for the Zee TV show. The serial is about how fate brings together two individuals who have different way of looking at life, and their bumpy journey towards finding an understanding and love. It hit the jackpot by winning hearts of the audience with its simple, realistic story. The performance by Shabbir Ahluwalia and Sriti Jha is also appreciated.
* “Feriha”: After entertaining audience with Pakistani stories last year, Zindagi brought Turkish drama “Feriha” to the small screen. The show capturing the subtle nuances of Turkey’s culture while narrating story of a girl named Feriha, was a winner.
* “Sankat Mochan Mahabali Hanumaan”: Bringing the untold story of Lord Hanuman to the small screen, the show was a hit among diverse age groups including children and senior people. The show on Sony Entertainment Television is told from Lord Krishna’s point of view.
* “Savdhaan India”: Based on true crime stories, the show is credited for making people more alert about their surroundings, and how they can fight back the evil things happening. The Life OK show is currently hosted by Sushant Singh.
* “Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah”: Just the mention of Jethalal and his wife Daya is sufficient to explain the popularity of the show aired on SAB TV. It is a ride full of fun and entertainment for viewers as they enter the world of Gokuldham Co-Operative Housing Society.
* “Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat”: This Colors show turns back the clock and revisits the life of Ashoka and his rise in ruling a kingdom. Siddharth Nigam, who plays the title role, has become a household name with the show.
* “Bharat Ka Veer Putra – Maharana Pratap”: The show opens another historical chapter on the small screen. The Sony Entertainment Television show chronicles the life of Rajput ruler Maharana Pratap and narrates tales of his valour. Both child actor Faisal Khan and Ssharad Malhotra, who essayed the title role, were loved by the viewers.
* “Saath Nibhana Saathiya”: Be it for “Gopi bahu” or “Kokila Modi”, the serial has managed to maintain a connection with the audience since its launch in 2010. The Star Plus show started with the focus on the relationship of two sisters and how it changes after they get married in the same household.