Police in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur town forcibly shifted Telugu actor Sivaji to hospital on Wednesday as his condition deteriorated on the fourth day of his indefinite hunger strike to demand special category status to the state.
Police cracked down on his hunger strike camp after a team of doctors advised authorities to shift him to hospital in view of his deteriorating condition.
The actor’s supporters resisted police attempts but the latter managed to shift him to an ambulance, which carried him to the hospital.
Earlier, tension prevailed at the hunger strike camp as Sivaji’s fans staged road blockade to protest indifferent attitude of both the state and the central governments towards his demand.
- Priest on hunger strike demanding Ram temple rushed to hospital
- Gujarat clerk exam has question on Hardik Patel: Who offered water to end fast?
- Hardik Patel’s health deteriorates after 14 days of fast, rushed to hospital
- Calcutta Medical College row: Demands not met, students to go on mass hunger strike
- Naidu shifted to hospital,continues fast
- Fasting Congress MP Rajagopal shifted to hospital
Sivaji, who is also a leader of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), went on hunger strike on May 3, accusing the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre of going back on its promise to grant special category status to the state.
He had vowed to continue the fast till the Centre fulfills its promise. He also targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi for failing to honour his word on special category status.
The state was promised the special status by the central government at the time of bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh last year to carve out separate Telangana state. The BJP during the poll campaign had promised to honour the commitment.
Leaders of various organisations had called on Sivaji during last four days to declare their support. Main opposition YSR Congress Party had also backed his protest.