Updated: October 16, 2017 7:08:12 pm
In a rare instance, the Malayalam version of Solo found itself getting a new climax after its release, as it faced immense backlash from the audience. Talking exclusively to the indianexpress.com at the Mumbai Film Festival, Dulquer Salmaan, Solo’s lead actor backed director Bejoy and said that while unfortunate, the situation is not new.
“It is very unfair and sad, which is why I felt I had to speak out. This is not something that is unheard of. In Malayalam, this has happened before. It is not like my film is the first project to have seen something like this. But what do you do?” he said.
Dulquer Salmaan, who is a part of the jury for the Dimensions section of MAMI that consists of short films by young filmmakers, further added, “You have to stand by your films. You have to stand by what you believe in and I have always stood by my films.”
Expressing his helplessness about the situation, Dulquer said, “It is like taking away creativity from an artiste. But what can I do? I can only express my sadness about it. I don’t have any control over it.”
The actor had earlier penned a lengthy note about the decision.
Bejoy Nambiar’s Solo released on October 5. The film is a romantic anthology of four stories featuring Dulquer Salmaan, Shruthi Hariharan, Arthi Venkatesh, Sai Dhanshikaa and Neha Sharma. The climax of the movie faced extreme negative criticism and it was changed later without director Bejoy’s consent or knowledge.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.