Music composer R.D Burman, fondly known as Pancham Da, redefined the very term music with his imaginative fusion compositions that are a hit even today. As we remember the maestro on his 76th birth anniversary, we recall some of his hit songs that have stayed with us through the years.
1) Yeh Shaam Mastani: This love song is absolutely magical and featured in the movie, ‘Kati Patang’. The sensual number is sure to transport you to surreal places.
2) Meri Bheegi Bheegi Si: Based on love and longing, etched with pain, this track is sung by Kishore Kumar from the film, ‘Anamika’, featuring Jaya Bahaduri and Sanjeev Kumar.
3) Tere Bina Zindagi: From the film, ‘Aandhi’, this song speaks directly to the heart. R.D. Burman’s music with the melodious voices of Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar makes it a heart wrenching favourite.
4) Dum Maaro Dum: Featured in the movie, ‘Hare Krishna Hare Ram’, this song is considered to be one of Burman’s best works. Asha Bhosle’s bold vocals and Zeenat Aman’s sexy avatar in the video make for a deadly combination.
5) Piya Tu Ab To Aaja: The song begins with the ever famous phrase, ‘Monica.. Oh My Darling! Which is a favourite from the track. Helen’s dance steps are fantastic as she dances to the sizzling chemistry of Burman’s music and Asha Bhosle’s voice.
6) Mehbooba Mehbooba: Though it has been decades since the film ‘Sholay’ made its first screening, ‘Mehbooba Mehbooba’ from the film gets people to their feet even today.
7) Tumne Mujhe Dekha: The lyrics from this song are beautiful and make you melt deep into the throes of blissful love.
8) Rim Jhim Rim Jhim: This song is special because it is from R.D. Burman’s last movie, ‘1942 – A Love Story’. The music is progressive, yet the song fills your with wonder.
9) Jai Jai Shiv Shankar: This peppy track is romantic, yet it combines love and spirituality since it has the name of Lord Shiva. It had superstar Rajesh Khanna and actress Mumtaz dancing in Srinagar.
10) Samundar Mein Naha Ke: This enchanting song revolves around the crackling chemistry between Amitabh Bachchan and Zeenat Aman.