Singer Kanika Kapoor, who is popular for her Bollywood songs with Punjabi lyrics, says she is from Uttar Pradesh and doesn’t know the language very well.
“I don’t know Punjabi. I’m a UP Khatri. I recently sang a Bengali song — an interesting song which will be out in two weeks. I’ve also sung a Kannada song,” the singer said.
“When I was memorising the lyrics of Baby Doll, I would say ye duniya peetal di. I didn’t know the Punjabi pronunciation but I learnt and delivered,” Kanika told reporters on the occasion of World Music Day.
Some of her other hit tracks like Chittiyaan Kalaiyaan, Desi Look, Nachan Farrate and even her most recent Da Da Dasse from Udta Punjab have all had a significant portion of the lyrics in Punjabi.
Her surname Kapoor, generally associated with Punjabis, might be another reason why people might think Kanika is a Punjabi.
WATCH | Udta Punjab Mashup
Speaking about her Bollywood journey Kanika said, “Today I feel like I am an established singer in Bollywood. I carefully choose my songs. I write music as well, so I have that sensibility.”
“God has been very kind to me. I am bringing up my children in London, so it is a big struggle for me. I didn’t get anything easy. I had to sing my songs really well to make it on my own,” Kanika said.
Kanika shot to fame with the song Baby Doll, which had a majority of its lyrics in Punjabi.
- Syllables that Bind
- I would like to be known as a poet rather than a lyricist: Manmarziyaan songwriter Shellee
- We have patriarchy but we also have Tinder: Kanika Dhillon
- Music composer Amit Trivedi on album remakes, Punjabi music in Bollywood and sound scouting on social media
- Kanika Kapoor on recreating old classics: I would be devastated if my own song was remade and sung badly
- Kanika Kapoor new song Beti, croons for cause of girl child
In her message on the occasion of World Music Day, which is celebrated on June 21 worldwide, Kanika said: “The World Music Day celebrates music and love. I hope that all the singers could live their dreams like I have.”
The song Baby Doll had fetched Kanika the Filmfare award for the best female playback singer.