The Weinstein Company has pulled actor Benedict Cumberbatch-starrer “The Current War” from its planned November release date. It has been pushed to an undecided 2018 release in the wake of Harvey Weinstein scandal. The Current War, directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, was originally scheduled to open in a limited number of theatres on November 24.
The film’s writer Michael Mitnik also dropped out of a panel that was scheduled for Thursday night at the New York Film Festival. Sources said Mitnick decided it wouldn’t be appropriate to promote “The Current War” due to the scandal surrounding TWC founder Harvey Weinstein, reports variety.com.
Weinstein is at the center of a still-unfolding scandal in which eight women were stated in a New York Times report as having received settlements from Weinstein after levelling sexual harassment allegations at the producer. On Tuesday, a second report from the New Yorker worsened the crisis, adding three claims of rape to the allegations.
Since then, close to three dozen women, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Eva Green and Angelina Jolie, have come forward with instances of inappropriate behaviour from Weinstein, who was fired from TWC.
Several male actors like Tom Hanks, Colin Firth, George Clooney and Ryan Gosling too have chimed in and gone on to condem Harvey Weinstein. Colin Firth has expressed regret on not acting on an accusation of sexual assault on Harvey Weinstein by Sophie Dix, who was 22 then.
“I didn’t act on what she told me. It was a long time ago and I don’t know if she remembers telling me, but the fact that I had that conversation has come back to haunt me in the light of these revelations. It’s the only direct account of this kind of behaviour by Harvey Weinstein that’s ever been told to me,” he said.