“Luther” star Idris Elba is in talks to play the lead role in the much-talked about film adaptation of Paulo Coelho’s bestselling novel “The Alchemist”.
The Weinstein Company is also eyeing director Laurence Fishburne to helm the long-gestating project, reported Deadline.
“The Alchemist” centres on a young Spaniard who embarks on a quest to find a hidden treasure within the Egyptian pyramids.
- Idris Elba named People magazine’s sexiest man alive
- Judi Dench joins star-studded Cats movie
- Idris Elba responds to James Bond casting rumours
- Idris Elba could be the first black James Bond
- Kate Winslet to star with Idris Elba in new romantic drama
- Movie on Paulo Coelho’s ‘Alchemist’ to go on floor
No deals have closed yet, but this is said to be a passion project for both producer Harvey Weinstein and Fishburne. The production house is hoping to get this in front of cameras in 2016.
Coelho’s book is something of a publishing sensation, having sold more than 65 million copies in 56 different languages.
It reputedly holds the Guinness world record for most translated work by a living author.