Columbian pop star Shakira isn’t happy with Donald Trump, and is the latest celebrity to accuse him of using “hateful and racist speech” when discussing immigration.
Republican presidential candidate Trump has been roundly criticised for appearing to accuse Mexican immigrants of increasing drug crimes and rapes within US borders.
Now, Shakira, 38, has joined the likes of Neil Young, Cher and Bill Maher in condemning Trump’s offensive comments on her Twitter account.
- Twitterati hail TIME, New Yorker’s powerful covers on Trump’s immigration policy
- Donald Trump says would back both US House immigration bills as separation crisis grows
- Donald Trump to host first White House Iftar dinner, several Muslim groups to boycott
- Donald Trump meets Kim Kardashian; Twitter gets bombarded with memes and a ‘sexist’ cover
- Donald Trump rails against California for its immigration policies
- Donald Trump’s travel ban faces US Supreme Court showdown
“This is a hateful and racist speech that attempts to divide a country that for years has promoted diversity and democracy! No one living in this century should stand behind so much ignorance,” Shakira tweeted.
Trump’s presidential campaign has been dogged by multiple controversies over the last several weeks.
Earlier, he filed a USD 500 million lawsuit against Spanish-language broadcaster Univision for dropping coverage of his Miss USA pageant because of the controversy.
The “Apprentice” host has threatened legal action against NBC for severing their business relationship as well.