February 2, 2009 10:55:30 am
Rock legend Bruce Springsteen has admitted that his decision to release his latest album exclusively through US retailer Wal-Mart was a “mistake” as the organisation’s values clash with his own.
In an interview with the New York Times,the musician,who is also known as ‘The Boss’ to millions of his fans worldwide,said fans had complained about the deal,claiming Wal-Mart’s labour practices clash with Springsteen’s stance on the issue.
“It was something that if we’d thought about it a little longer,we’d have done something different. Fans will call you on that stuff,as it should be,” Springsteen told the paper.
Springsteen’s stand came after fellow musician Bob Dylan came under fire from fans for letting a supermarket chain use his song “Blowin in the wind” in it’s advertisements.
The greatest hits record,Working on a Dream,priced at USD 10,went on sale in Wal-Mart stores last month.
Bruce Springsteen,who played at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington for Barack Obama’s inauguration as president,will also perform at this year’s Superbowl,America’s equivalent of the Cricket World Cup.
Over the years Springsteen has emerged as a cult icon with his affiliation to progressive politics and his works that reflect and express the thoughts and fears of the blue-collared population of US,a group not well represented in the popular culture of the country.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.