Maharashtra government today ordered an inquiry into a comedy show held here even as police launched a probe following a complaint against filmmaker Karan Johar, actor Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh, among others, for allegedly using “filthy and abusive language” during the event.
“Officials of the Culture Department will examine the (AIB show) videos for the content. If found vulgar, an action will be initiated,” Maharashtra Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde told reporters here.
Mumbai Police also initiated an inquiry following a complaint against Johar, Kapoor and Singh, which alleged that the trio, along with other comedians, had used abusive language during the AIB Knockout, a comedy show, held in December last year at Worli in the city.
According to the written complaint by Akhilesh Tiwari, president of Brahman Ekta Seva Sanstha in Mumbai, filed at Sakinaka police station today, the trio, along with other performers, had allegedly passed abusive and offensive remarks against one another and at the audience present there, police said.
The episode on YouTube had social media abuzz with Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh being openly criticised. The event was hosted by Karan Johar.
In his four-page complaint at Sakinaka police station, Tiwari sought a criminal case against Johar, Kapoor and Singh as well as the show organiser, among others.
“I have handed over a letter to Sakinaka police demanding a criminal complaint be lodged against these so-called youth icons Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh. The show, which can be seen on YouTube and other websites, was extremely abusive and it is not only ruining the clean image of the Indian culture & women but is also misleading today’s youth,” said Tiwari.
However, Maharashtra Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde has tweeted that no moral policing will be done in this matter.
On #AIBRoast, will only enquire if the AIB had taken appropriate certificate. No moral policing if they r allowed by law, I can’t stop them.
— Vinod Tawde (@TawdeVinod) February 2, 2015
Earlier on February 2, Vinod Tawde had said, “Officials of the Culture Department will examine the videos for the content. If found vulgar, an action will be initiated.” All India Bakchod (AIB) has also tweeted about the impending enquiry.
(With PTI Inputs)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines