A number of film personalities Thursday urged viewers to go to theatres to watch Udta Punjab and refrain from downloading it after a copy of the Shahid Kapoor-starrer got leaked online.
The film’s producers had Wednesday lodged a complaint with the cyber crime police in Mumbai after a copy of the film with ‘for censor’ written on the top left was leaked on various torrent websites, thereby raising questions about role of the censor board — Central Board of Film Certification — in the leak.
Actor-producer Aamir Khan appealed fans through Twitter to watch the movie in theatres, saying piracy is an issue which the film industry has been fighting for a long time.
In Mumbai, filmmaker Karan Johar made a similar appeal. As the film was set to hit the theatres Friday, the online leak of the film prompted film producer Anurag Kashyap to say that he believed it was a case of vested interests “trying to demoralise” the filmmakers in their fight.
- Vijay Deverakonda’s Geetha Govindam, Taxiwala footage leaked online, suspects held
- Udta Punjab leak: Torrent site owner arrested by Mumbai Police
- Nihalani rejects role in Udta Punjab film leak
- Udta Punjab leaked: Kashyap asks downloaders to wait till Saturday
- Let’s watch Udta Punjab only in theatres: Aamir Khan
- Udta Punjab leaked online, producers file complaint with cyber police
CBFC chief Pahlaj Nahalani, on his part, said “rumours” about the online leak should not be believed. “Please understand the procedure rather than believing in rumours,” he said.