Vinod Khanna, who was last seen in superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s film Dilwale, died on Thursday at the age of 70. For years, he had been battling cancer as he himself revealed some time back. During his time in Bollywood, he had an illustrious career which started mainly with his stint in films playing small and negative roles. Soon, after gaining a lot of love from his fans he started working as a lead actor in films.
It won’t be wrong to say that in whichever field he ventured, he established himself and became a successful name. Vinod Khanna had an equally active political career. After working with contemporaries such as Amitabh Bachchan, Rishi Kapoor, Shatrughan Sinha and many more, he reached a point when he was competing with Amitabh Bachchan in popularity stakes.
While we grieve his death, let’s take a look back at his career and list down 10 films that are special in not just his filmography, but also for the audience.
1. Dabangg: Millennials will remember Vinod Khanna for this one. He played Salman Khan’s father in the film who started being a strict dad but soon became more of a friend. This was even carried over in the sequel Dabangg 2. In fact, Mr Khanna, you will be sorely missed in Dabangg 3.
2. Mere Apne: This Gulzar film can be called one of the best Vinod Khanna films. It was Gulzar’s first directorial venture and was the remake of National Award-winning Bengali film Apanjan. With Meena Kumari in the film, Vinod Khanna showcased his acting skills.
3. Muqaddar Ka Sikandar: One of the biggest hits of 1978, it had Amitabh Bachchan as the lead but Vinod Khanna held his own against the biggest actor of the 70s. He played a lawyer and a confidante of Amitabh.
4. Amar Akbar Anthony: Another film which had Big B and Vinod together, this one cannot be imagined without any of the three leads — Amitabh Bachchan, Vinod Khanna or Rishi Kapoor. Vinod Khanna’s character added stability and maturity to his other two flamboyant brothers.
5. Mera Gaon Mera Desh: This might be the best representation for Vinod in the role of a dacoit, something which became a hallmark of the actor. His dacoit character was hated by the audience who loved him for doing it so well.
6. Imtihaan: A remake of English hit, To Sir, with Love, it had the actor playing a lecturer, trying to reform a group of students, lead by villain Ranjeet.
7. Achanak: This one again had Gulzar at the helm and Vinod played an armyman who is shattered to know about his wife’s infidelity, that too with his best friend. Inspired by Nanavatio murder case, this brought Vinod Khanna a lot of applause.
8. Dayavan: This film might be remembered more for the famous kiss between Vinod Khanna and Madhuri Dixit, but there was more to it. Vinod played the title role who avenges the killing of his father by the local police. The superhit film also starred Feroz Khan, Aditya Pancholi and Amrish Puri.
9. Hera Pheri: Another Vinod Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan combination, this film saw that the actor was nominated for Filmfare Best Supporting Actor for this one. In fact, the two acted in six films together. The two play con artists who part ways due to circumstances, giving way to a revenge drama.
10 Parvarish: It won’t be wrong to say that Vinod Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan were the soul brothers who were regularly signed in several hit films. And Parvarish is just one of them. Vinod played the one with shades of grey, and pulled it off with ease.
RIP Vinod Khanna.