If all goes well, Priyanka Chopra could soon be seen playing eminent woman industrialist Kalpana Saroj in a biopic based on the latter’s inspirational rags-to-riches life story.
Confirming the same to The IndianExpress.com was Kalpana herself who said, “Yes, it is true. People from Hollywood have approached me and expressed interest in making a biopic on my life. I will be meeting them next week and I will have a clear picture. And I have been told that Priyanka Chopra has been approached to play me on screen. Apart from this, there is also interest expressed from producers of American based studio Lionsgate films. They are also interested in making a biopic on my life.”
- Dangal, Mary Kom, MS Dhoni and others: The box office collection of last five sports biopics
- Priyanka Chopra: I love the idea of getting married
- Priyanka Chopra and Farhan Akhtar to reunite for The Sky is Pink
- Priyanka Chopra begins prep for Shonali Bose’s The Sky Is Pink
- Exclusive: Priyanka Chopra and Farhan Akhtar in Shonali Bose’s next
- Is Priyanka Chopra set to play Kalpana Chawla in a biopic?
Kalpana, for the uninitiated, was married off at the young age of 12 to a man twice her age. After suffering physical abuse at the hands of her in-laws she was rescued by her father and brought back to her village. Here she was unfortunately ostracised by the villagers that drove her to commit suicide unsuccessfully. The brave woman later on moved to Mumbai at the age of 16 and started working in a garment factory sewing clothes initially. Later on she started a tailoring business after procuring a government loan thereby kickstarting her entrepreneurial ventures. Today she is a multi millionaire who is in charge of $112 million worth business ventures. Kalpana was honoured with the Padma Shri in 2013.