Filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali says people thought he’ll never be able to make his ambitious project “Bajirao Mastani” — a film that he planned to make for the past 12 years.
“I kept holding it for 12 years and kept thinking about it for 12 years. People thought this will never happen, that it was impossible for the film to be made. ‘Every year he begins it and every year he scraps it’,” said Bhansali.
Bhansali said: “Several people came in and several went out. But it is written in the destiny of our Bajirao, Mastani and Kashibai (actors). Bajirao, Mastani and Kashibai’s souls had a will that these people (actors Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra) do this film and nothing could go against it.”
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali not working with Priyanka Chopra, says spokesperson
- Winning National Award for ‘Bajirao Mastani’ very special: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- I’ve not faced problem with censor board: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Deepika Padukone has never gone over the top: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Salman Khan would be happy my dream ‘Bajirao Mastani’ fulfilled: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Deepika Padukone: Ranveer very sensitive, emotional in real life
“It was their blessings. And so, when it had to be made, it got made,” he added.
About the experience of completing the film, Bhansali said: “It’s a wonderful state to be in, that’s why we make films to experience this one moment of seeing it on the screen. Economics might matter or not matter, films are obviously made with money but more than money, it’s made with passion and with people.”
“There are several talented people who’ve worked on this film. They’re relieved. There is that sadness, emptiness and the feeling that it’s done, now I’m jobless,” he added.
“Bajirao Mastani” will hit the screens on December 18.