Writer-filmmaker Zeishan Quadri says he was impressed by how Omung Kumar captured Olympian M.C. Mary Kom’s life journey in the National Award-winning movie “Mary Kom” and that’s why he decided to rope in the director to helm the biopic on late Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh.
Quadri, who is producing the film, told IANS: “This is a woman-oriented subject. The story will be about Dalbir, Sarabjit’s sister. I have seen ‘Mary Kom’, and Omung has directed the film so beautifully… so I wanted him to direct this film (on Sarabjit).”
- Randeep Hooda, Darshan Kumaar start shooting for ‘Sarabjit’ biopic
- Didn’t want my second film to be biopic: Omung Kumar
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to go de-glam in Sarabjit Singh’s biopic?
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan will do justice to Dalbir Kaur’s role: Omung Kumar
- Mary Kom director Omung Kumar wants feisty, bold actress to play Sarabjit’s sister in biopic
- Omung Kumar to team up with Rensil for thriller film
The yet untitled film is being co-produced by Quadri and Kumar.
Talking about it, Quadri said: “Earlier, Subhash Ghai was supposed to make this film, but last year I bought the rights from him and now I will be producing this film. I also want to clarify that I have earlier been the associate producer for the film ‘Prague’ and my directorial debut film ‘Meeruthiya Gangsters’ is also being produced by me.”
The new film will go on floors by October this year with a 60-day schedule in Punjab.
“We will lock the star cast in the next 10 days. I know there are reports of Kangana Ranaut being part of this project, but we have not locked anyone yet. Until we sign anyone, we can’t give any confirmation,” he added.