FORMER CHAIRMAN of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), Pahlaj Nihalani, on Monday moved the Bombay High Court after the CBFC ordered several cuts in his movie Rangeela Raja, slated for release on November 16. The court is likely to hear the case on Tuesday.
Nihalani, who has produced the film, in his petition filed through lawyer Ashok Saraogi, has sought directions to quash the CBFC order of November 2, 2016, and grant of necessary certification, either Universal (U) or Universal with Adult (UA), for the film.
Nihalani contended that as per the prevailing system, after the screening of the film, if any portion is found objectionable, the producer is given all opportunities to put forth his case and justify the scene and/or dialogue.
Nihalani said that in his case, no such opportunities have been made available to him. The CBFC has suggested “unwanted cuts” in the film, he alleged.
The petition added that “prima facie, if the cuts and the dialogues are taken into consideration, the same do not show any vulgarity of whatsoever nature”.
Nihalani said that however, only because he is the former chairman of the Censor Board and had been “very strict” during his tenure, now, he is being harassed.
Pahalani said that the dialogues which have been asked to be removed included “talwar myan se bahar nikal aayi toh” and “tu aisa swadisht khana muze khila chuki hai”.
The petition said that while all the films screened in cinema halls are required to cleared by the censor board, for the purpose of screening movies on other media, like YouTube, no censor is required.
“…an Indian show on Netflix, which has become very popular however, all the films and programmes shown in the said show are purely adult programme and it could be said the same are in the nature of blue films,” it added.