Trial in Salman Khan hit-and-run case to resume, ‘missing’ documents producedhttps://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/missing-files-produced-trial-to-resume/

Trial in Salman Khan hit-and-run case to resume, ‘missing’ documents produced

Salman Khan is set to resume from September 24 following production of documents before a sessions court on Friday.

The prosecution for the 2002 hit-and-run trial submitted all the missing original witness statements and case diaries before the court.
The prosecution for the 2002 hit-and-run trial submitted all the missing original witness statements and case diaries before the court.

After repeated adjournments over the missing statements of witnesses, the trial in the hit-and-run case against actor Salman Khan is set to resume from September 24 following production of documents before a sessions court on Friday.

The prosecution for the 2002 hit-and-run trial submitted all the missing original witness statements and case diaries before the court.

The investigating officer, through public prosecutor Pradeep Gharat, informed the court that the documents were found in the police inspector administration’s cabin at Bandra Police Station on August 26. Newly appointed prosecutor, who replaced Jagannat Kenjralkar for the case, Gharat told the court that all the missing evidence had been found, except one statement of the bar manager, who was at the pub that the actor allegedly visited before the accident.

In his statement on June 23, the bar manager told the court, “Salman’s group had ordered drinks and snacks but I am not sure whether Salman   consumed alcohol.”

Advertising

Demanding that original statements be brought on record, Khan’s lawyer, Srikant Shivde, had earlier told the court there were “interpolations and omissions” in the true copy when compared with the original FIR. He also urged the prosecutor to inform him about the “witness programme”. The prosecution has been directed by the court to share information about the  witnesses likely to be examined.

To find how the documents went missing, Gharat told the court that an inquiry had been initiated.

On September 28, 2002, the actor’s car allegedly ran over people sleeping on the pavement outside a Bandra bakery, killing one and injuring four.
mumbai.newsline@expressindia.com