Bollywood actor Jimmy Sheirgill is all set to play a “young and fierce” politician in an upcoming film which is based on the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots.
Titled “Zainab”, the movie has been produced and directed by debutante Pranav Singh and also stars Sanjay Suri, Ashutosh Rana. It will mark the Bollywood debut of Turkish actress Suha Gezento.
“My character is very different from what I have done so far in my career. I have never played a character with a political background. It is very exciting for me. The way the director has researched on the topic is commendable,” Jimmy told reporters during the first look launch of the film here last night.
- Phamous actor Jimmy Sheirgill: Once you’re out of costume, you’re out of character
- Western genre is unexplored in Indian cinema: Team Phamous
- In ‘Madaari’ playing more mature cop than my other cop characters: Jimmy Sheirgill
- ‘Shorgul’ not based on anyone’s life: Jimmy Sheirgill
- Jimmy Sheirgill hopes for different role in ‘Munnabhai 3’
- I have to take charge of my films now: Jimmy Sheirgill
“I play this young, fierce politician. It was very interesting for me to learn about the body language of my character, how he interacts with people, how he speaks,” he said.
The film will begin shooting in Lucknow next week. The music of “Zainab” has been composed by Lalit Pandit and the lyrics have been penned by former Union Minister Kapil Sibal.
Calling the movie a sensitive issue-based film, Jimmy said he agreed to do “Zainab” because he was touched by the story and got very emotional after reading the script.
“It is a special film. When I read the story I had tears in my eyes. That is why I immediately said yes to the film. It is a very sensitive story and I think it should reach everyone,” he said.
Jimmy will be next seen reprising his role of Raja Awasthi in “Tanu Weds Manu Returns”, the sequel of 2011 film “Tanu Weds Manu”.
The Aanand L Rai-directed film will hit theatres on May 22.