Expectations were sky high from both of this week’s releases – Rohit Shetty’s ‘Dilwale’ starring Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Varun Dhawan and Kriti Sanon and Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s ‘Bajirao Mastani’ with Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra.
Unfortunately, both films have failed to get good reviews. However, historical drama ‘Bajirao Mastani’ may have fared a tad better than ‘Dilwale’, especially from the audience perspective. Here are a few reasons why you can consider what ‘Bajirao Mastani’ before ‘Dilwale’:
1. Right from the beginning, ‘Bajirao Mastani’ is a Sanjay Leela Bhansali film – the grandeur, lush sets and of course the gorgeously attired actors. (Watch video: What audience has to say about Bajirao Mastani)
2. Ranveer Singh can be another reason, Indian Express critic Shubhra Gupta says “It is hard to imagine anyone else as Bajirao after Singh finishes chewing up the part ( and, to my untrained ears, cracking the Marathi accent), and owning the film – he swaggers, struts and ruts, an actor fully enjoying himself.” (Also read: A few reasons why you should watch Dilwale before Bajirao Mastani)
3. Priyanka Chopra, who plays Bajirao’s wife, Kashibai in the film is said to have delivered a striking performance, owning the screen in quite a few of her strong moments. Read: Dilwale review
4. Tanvi Azmi is another talented performer to watch out for in ‘Bajirao Mastani’. She plays the role of Bajirao’s widowed and ambitious mother.
5. Audiences appreciated the chemistry between lead actors Deepika and Ranveer, who have previously set the screen ablaze with ‘Ram-Leela’.
6. Since Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s films are known to have slightly sombre endings, some might prefer to watch it first and keep Rohit Shetty’s happier ‘Dilwale’ for later. Read: Bajirao Mastani review