National award-winning filmmaker Hansal Mehta’s real life-inspired drama “Aligarh” will open the upcoming 17th Jio MAMI Mumbai Film Festival here on October 29.
“Aligarh”, starring Rajkummar Rao and Manoj Bajpayee, is based on the real life incident of professor Shrinivas Ramchandra Siras, who was fired from his job because of his sexual orientation.
Bajpayee is playing the role of Siras in this movie, and Rao portrays the role of a journalist.
“Really proud to announce that @mehtahansal’s #Aligarh is the Opening Premiere of the #JioMAMI Mumbai Film Festival,” read a tweet from the official Twitter handle of the festival.
- Watch Aligarh trailer: Manoj Bajpayee, Rajkummar Rao are brilliant
- Manoj Bajpayee’s ‘Aligarh’ to release on February 26, 2016
- Manoj Bajpayee’s ‘Aligarh’ to release in February
- Everybody has their opinion in a democracy: Manoj Bajpayee
- Hansal Mehta’s ‘Aligarh’ premieres at MAMI Film Festival
- Hansal Mehta’s ‘Aligarh’ to premiere at Busan Film Festival
“Aligarh” will become the second Hindi film to open the festival since its foundation in 1998. Veteran actress Jaya Bachchan-starrer “Hazar Chaurasi Ki Maa” opened the festival in 1997.
Rao also shared the news on the micro-blogging site and congratulate the cast and crew members of the film.
He wrote, “Thrilled to announce that #Aligarh is the opening film at MAMI. @mehtahansal @Mumbaifilmfest @Apurvasrani. Congratulations team. #JioMAMI.”
— Rajkummar Rao (@RajkummarRao) October 3, 2015
The movie will have its European premiere at the BFI London Film Festival on October 10. It will also be screened at the ongoing 20th Busan International Festival.