scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, April 11, 2021

Ranbir – Anushka’s Bombay Velvet is a ‘debacle’, manages to collect Rs 16 cr in opening weekend

'Bombay Velvet', which got off to a dismal start at the box office on Friday, could only manage a mere Rs 16 crores over the weekend.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi |
Updated: May 18, 2015 3:43:31 pm
bombay velvet, anushka sharma, ranbir kapoor, karan johar, ranbir kapoor bombay velvet, anushka sharma bombay velvet, bombay velvet trailer, bombay velvet movie, bombay velvet release, karan johar bombay velvet, anurag kashyap, entertainment news Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma’s ‘Bombay Velvet’, which got off to a dismal start at the box office on Friday, could only manage to collect a mere Rs 16 crore in its opening weekend.

Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma’s ‘Bombay Velvet’, which got off to a dismal start at the box office on Friday, could only manage to collect a mere Rs 16 crore in its opening weekend. (Read review: Bombay Velvet)

Tweeting the figures, trade analyst Taran Adarsh wrote ‘Bombay Velvet’ is a ‘debacle’.

The film, which opened to mixed reviews last week, had failed to generate any interest from the audience and bad word of mouth added to its woes.

Film’s director Anurag Kashyap addressed the criticism regarding his latest release “Bombay Velvet”, saying he is not depressed by the lukewarm response to the ambitious project.

In his lengthy Facebook post, Anurag wrote: “It’s time to close the book and move on. It has been a journey, as if one life is over with ‘Bombay Velvet’. A lot of people do not connect with it and a small number of people did… Maybe our experimenting with the narrative didn’t work for most but I firmly believe in the film. (Read: Anurag, RGV’s twitter war)

“I am very happy that all those who have been part of this journey firmly stand with it. No I am not depressed or hiding, this has taught us a lot and is my absolute personal favourite, there have been no regrets whatsoever,” Kashyap, 42, wrote on Facebook.

Without giving out much details about his next move, the “Gangs of Wasseypur” helmer said he will continue making movies as “films is what I breathe, what I live for, does not matter where I go and where I stay, I will only make films.”

“…No I am not done with making films in and about my country, rest is just a little detour. None of you need to worry about me, we have survived so much, have been standing 22 years in the face of adversity and rejection, and I am still free with my choices,” he said.

Kashyap said “Bombay Velvet” was worth the risk and “the applause or brickbats” do not matter. The director assured he will go on reinventing and will be back for sure.

“It’s us who go out there and risk it, it’s us who choose not to take the easy route, it’s us who stand tall when they let the lions loose on us, we are and will be the gladiators, let’s just keep playing the sport… Let’s continue reinventing, let’s give everything our best, and like Schwarznegger said, I WILL BE BACK..,” he added. (With PTI inputs)

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Entertainment News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
x