The business aspect of filmmaking is an integral part of Bollywood, but actress Kalki Koechlin, who has maintained a fine balance between commercial and parallel cinema, points out that though Hindi filmdom is evolving content-wise, major emphasis is given to the box office figures.
“Our cinema and our content is growing, which is very important, but the problem is that Bollywood has become a business. If we are only thinking about box office, then it’s a business and advertising,” Kalki told IANS.
Kalki, who is currently busy promoting her film “Margarita With a Straw”, notes that a wave of change has come to Bollywood with movies like “Queen”.
- Kalki Koechlin: You aren’t here to change the game but to create
- Don’t think I’ll get married again: Kalki Koechlin
- Kalki Koechlin: I don’t think I consciously try to be shocking or different
- Kalki Koechlin feels that she has been typecast several times in Bollywood
- Exclusive: Kalki Koechlin on being Laila in ‘Margarita With a Straw’
- Films like ‘Margarita With A Straw’ need support more than business: Kalki Koechlin
“If we want to say a truthful story, we need support from the audience. Films like “Queen” and “Ankhon Dekhi” are making a difference. Content is also important these days,” she added.
In “Margarita With A Straw”, Kalki plays a girl with cerebral palsy, and it narrates her struggle with the normal activities in her life. The actress has garnered a lot of appreciation in the international circuit for her portrayal in the film.
Bollywood’s ‘Mr. Perfectionist’ Aamir Khan has also come out in support of the film. Kalki says he is “promoting the film from his heart”.
“Aamir loved the film. He is not getting paid. He is promoting it from his heart. He is moved by this film,” the “Shaitan” actress said.
Directed by Shonali Bose, the film, which also stars Revathi and Sayani Gupta, is slated for release on April 17.