Amitabh Bachchan, who is on a three-day trip here, received an Honorary Doctorate from the prestigious Egyptian Academy of Arts for his contribution to cinema.
Big B, 72, said the Doctorate signifies that Indian cinema and its various techniques have gone beyond Indian shores.
“Culture is the soft power of the state and should be used to convert enemies into friends,” said Bachchan during the ceremony, held in Sayyed Darwish Hall, Giza.
- Amitabh Bachchan: No woman should ever be subjected to any kind of misbehaviour
- Happy birthday Amitabh Bachchan: A look back at ‘1975’ and why it was a banner year for the Zanjeer actor
- Amitabh Bachchan honoured by Egypt’s Academy of Arts
- Poetic justice in Hindi cinema attracts people to it: Amitabh Bachchan
- Bachchan awarded honorary doctorate in Australia
- Big B shuns australia honour over attacks
“Egypt and Egyptian people have always been my dearest friends and shall continue to be so for my entire life time,” he added.
Bachchan was received at the entrance of the hall with an Egyptian folkloric dance show, performed by students of the Academy.
“This is the first time that the Academy of Arts gives a doctorate to an international actor,” Ahlam Younis, the head of the Academy of Arts said, adding Bachchan has a great impact on art and humanity.