An FIR has been registered under Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against actor Alok Nath who has been accused of sexual assault by a veteran TV writer-producer.
After the FIR was registered, the TV producer released a statement, “The moment I penned the truth on Facebook on October 8, 2018, it felt like I had released myself from the prison of fear. Today, I am glad the FIR has been finally lodged. I trust the Mumbai Police. I know that when things have finally come this far, justice will prevail. I have full faith and confidence in the country’s judiciary.”
The TV writer-producer in a Facebook post in October opened up about the incident that left her “shattered”. She then wrote, “I have waited for this moment to come for 19 years,” and continued to narrate the incident. “I remember being violated endlessly. When I woke up the next afternoon, I was in pain. I hadn’t just been raped, I was taken to my own house and had been brutalised. I couldn’t get up for my bed. I told some of my friends but everybody advised me to forget about it and move on.”
When Alok Nath was contacted, he first neither denied nor accepted the allegation put on him. He told ABP News, “Neither I am denying this nor do I would agree with it. It (rape) must have happened, but someone else would have done it. Well, I do not want to talk much about it as for the matter if it has come out, it will be stretched.” But when Cine & TV Artists Association (CINTAA) sent Nath a show-cause notice, his lawyer responded to it saying that the allegations against him were false and in the absence of any complaint filed against him, the notice sent to him is “premature”. The actor also filed a civil suit against the woman in the Dindoshi sessions court, seeking Re 1 as damages for allegedly defaming him.
Nath was also sent a show cause notice by Indian Film and Television Directors’ Association (IFTDA). In his response, the actor said that he is not liable or answerable to any organisation since no formal police complaint was filed. “My client states that however, in the present case, there is no complaint at all made with any of the police authorities nor filed with any of the legal authorities save and except making interviews and some complaints on social media, ” the response sent to IFTDA by Alok Nath’s lawyer read.
The TV writer-producer, after filing a police complaint against Nath, approached the National Commission for Women (NCW) for help. She, in her letter to NCW, wrote that she “apprehends threat to her life and seeks police protection.” Following up on the letter, NCW chairperson Rekha Sharma asked Maharashtra’s Director General of Police (DGP) to “personally intervene” and ensure speedy investigation in the case.
In view of the various allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct against Mr. Alok Nath, after due diligence and consideration, the Exec. Committee of #cintaa has decided to expel him from the Association. @sushant_says @renukashahane @FIA_actors @sagaftra @RichaChadha pic.twitter.com/tcNgooWLW6
— CINTAA_Official (@CintaaOfficial) November 13, 2018
In November, CINTAA expelled Alok Nath. “In view of the various allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct against Mr. Alok Nath, after due diligence and consideration, the Exec. Committee of #cintaa has decided to expel him from the Association. @sushant_says @renukashahane @FIA_actors @sagaftra @RichaChadha,” read the statement released by CINTAA.