Releasing the names of 116 of the 294 candidates for the upcoming Assembly polls in West Bengal, Left Front chairman Biman Bose said on Monday that they have only entered an “electoral understanding” with the Congress and there has been no alliance between them.
“In an attempt to prevent division of votes, we had asked all Left-minded and democratic parties to come together. Because the Congress is no longer an ally of the TMC, we welcome them. But there shall be no alliance with them. Their symbol is theirs, ours is ours,” he said, after releasing the candidates names.
- Will not sacrifice interests of state leaders for sake of alliances: Congress
- West Bengal panchayat polls: Left Front rubbishes report of alliance with BJP
- Bengal: Seat sharing arrangement hits roadblock
- Congress names 75 constituencies, bargaining with Left for 25 more
- Understanding the complex CPM-Congress ‘tactical understanding’ in West Bengal
- No understanding with Congress in West Bengal elections, says CPI
He also said that there would be no “platform-sharing” between the Left front and the Congress, but there would be “cooperation”. “All the parties would be campaigning from their respective platforms. There would be no platform-sharing. But in case there is an instance of violence, members of all parties might come together without carrying any party flag,” Bose said.
State Congress president Adhir Chowdhury said that since the Left is not calling it an alliance, they would reciprocate similarly. “It is definitely a joint attempt to fight against the tyranny of the TMC and remove it from the state. If the Left leaders are not calling it a ‘jot’ (alliance) owing to some constraints, we will have to do the same,” Chowdhury told The Indian Express.
He added that Left leaders should have announced candidates’ names after more talks with the Congress. “There should have been more talks,” he said and added that the Left should show more flexibility while negotiating about candidates for Congress strongholds like Murshidabad and Malda.