scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Those who took test on May 1 can’t appear in NEET-II, says SC

The decision on this aspect was, however, deferred till May 9 when Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar would apprise it of the stand of the Centre.

Written by Utkarsh Anand | New Delhi | May 7, 2016 5:32:35 am
L Nageswara Rao, L Nageswara Rao SC, L Nageswara Rao sc judge, sc collegium, L Nageswara Rao jaya case, india news, latest news Supreme Court of India. (Source: Express photo by Amit Mehra)

The Supreme Court Friday said that the second phase of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for admissions to medical colleges will not be open to all the aspiring candidates.

A bench led by Justice Anil R Dave said NEET-II, scheduled for July 24, will allow only those candidates who have not appeared in the May 1 NEET-I exam irrespective of whether or not they had filled up the forms. According to the court order, CBSE’s AIPMT on May 1 has to be considered as first phase of NEET.

“Those students who had appeared in NEET Phase-I shall not be permitted to appear at NEET Phase-II but the students who could not appear in NEET Phase-I may appear in NEET Phase-II,” said the bench, also comprising Justices Shiva Kirti Singh and Adarsh K Goel. The bench also indicated that it may give a nod for states to conduct their own tests to continue with the admission process for the current academic year if the central government agreed to it as well.

The decision on this aspect was, however, deferred till May 9 when Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar would apprise it of the stand of the Centre. “The issue with regard to those students who had appeared or who are due to appear in examinations conducted by the states in accordance with their state laws, shall be decided after hearing the Solicitor General,” said the court.

The bench reiterated its view on private colleges holding their separate tests. “It is clarified that no examination shall be permitted to be held for admission to MBBS or BDS studies by any private college…” The Medical Council of India, which had earlier opposed the plea of some states that they be allowed to continue with their entrance tests, told the court that they could be permitted “only for this year”.

WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Education News, download Indian Express App.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement