scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, May 16, 2021

No compartment exams for JAC class 11 students: Jharkhand Board

There will not be any compartment exam for class 11 and those who have failed in more than one exam will have to repeat a year, while those who failed in one subject out of five have been promoted to class 12.

Written by Shyna Kalra | New Delhi |
Updated: November 6, 2019 10:40:18 am
jac class 11 compartment exam, board exams, jac.nic.in, Jharkhand Academic Council, JAC, jharkhand board There will not be any compartment exam for class 11 and those who have failed in more than one exam will have to repeat a year. Image source: Representational Image/ File

The Jharkhand Academic Council (JAC) has decided not to conduct any compartmental or special exam for students who failed in class 11 in order to have only ‘deserving’ candidates appear for the class 12 Jharkhand Board exams. While nearly 30,000 candidates were awaiting the class 11 compartment exam, the JAC has decided against it.

Talking to indianexpress.com, Mahip Kumar Singh, Education Officer, informed, “Students who have failed in one exam and cleared four out of five subjects have also been promoted to class 12. There will not be any compartment exam for class 11 and those who have failed in more than one exam will have to repeat a year.”

After conducting the special exam last year, the board is reverting to its former practice and no opportunity will be given to those who fail in more than one subject in class 11. However, compartment exams for class 8, 9 and 10 will continue to take place.

Besides 82.61 per cent of the 2.54 lakh students who appeared for the JAC class 11 exams this year, an additional 6.39 per cent were promoted to the class 12. Singh informed that the overall pass percentage for class 11 has reached 89 per cent, including those who have been promoted. Over 2.60 lakh had registered for the class 11 Jharkhand board exam.

The remaining 28,703 students who failed in more than one exam in class 11 consider this to be an unfair move by the board. A JAC government school teacher on condition of anonymity commented, “Students prepare hard for their exam and it is natural to feel disappointed as unlike last year, they will not get a chance for the compartment exam. The rules change every year. While there was a notification released by the board, it is not possible for JAC to inform every student. It is the responsibility of schools to inform students well in advance and alert them, however, the uncertainty and confusion still prevail.”

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Education News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
x