Educational institutions in the southern states aced the first government-backed rankings for higher education launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) on Monday.
IIT Madras, IIM Bangalore, IISc Bangalore and Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal, topped the engineering, management, university and pharmacy categories, respectively.
Institutions such as Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Hyderabad Central University (HCU), Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) and Visva-Bharati, which have been at the centre of major controversies, have also fared well. They figure in the top 20 universities of the country.
While JNU and HCU were judged the third and fourth best universities, better than Delhi University, which stood at rank 6, AMU and Visva-Bharati were ranked 10th and 11th, respectively. Jamia Millia Islamia was ranked 83 out of 100 universities.
Though the HCU administration has been accused of discriminating against students from backward castes, the university was ranked the best in the country in terms of ‘outreach and inclusivity’, which includes parameters such as gender and geographical diversity in student community, facilities for the differently-abled and percentage of students from socially/economically backward communities.
The IITs — both old and new —lead the tables for engineering, occupying the first 11 positions. Predictably, the first five IITs, established during 1950s and early 1960s, took the first five positions, led by IIT Madras with a weighted score of 89.42, followed by IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi and IIT Kanpur with weighted score of 87.67, 83.91, 82.03 and 81.07, respectively.
Similarly, the IIMs occupied the top positions among management institutions. The topranks were occupied by IIM Bangalore at first rank closely followed by IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Calcutta and IIM Lucknow. International Management Institute, New Delhi, at rank 7 is the only private institution in the top 10 management institutes.
The ‘India Rankings 2016’ were put together with the participation of 3,500 private and public institutions, which were ranked by National Bureau of Accreditation (NBA) based on five criteria — teaching and learning resources, graduation outcome, perception, outreach and inclusivity and research productivity. All institutions were judged based on self-disclosure of information.
Top 10 Universities in the country
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
2. Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
3. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
4. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
5. Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam
6. University of Delhi, Delhi
7. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
8. Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvanathapuram
9. Birla Institute of Technology and Science –Pilani
10. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Top 10 Engineering institutes in India
1. Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
2. Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
3. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
4. Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
5. Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
6. Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
7. Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
8. Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
9. Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar-Rupnagar
10. Indian Institute of Technology, Patna
Top 10 Management institutes in the country
1. Indian Institute of Management, Bangaluru
2. Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
3. Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
4. Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
5. Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur
6. Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
7. International Management Institute, New Delhi
8. Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal
9. Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
10. Indian Institute of Management, Indore
Top 10 Pharmaceutical institutes
1. Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
2. University institute of pharmaceutical sciences –Chandigarh
3. Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
4. Poona College of Pharmacy, Erandwane, Pune
5. Institute of Pharmacy, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
6. Bombay College of Pharmacy, Mumbai
7. Birla Institute of technology, Ranchi
8. Amrita School of Pharmacy, Kochi
9. JSS college of Pharmacy, Ootacamund
10. JSS college of Pharmacy, Mysuru