AFTER SEVERAL rounds of meetings between education ministers and senior officials of the education department and the Gujarat Secondary And Higher Secondary Education Board (GSHSEB), Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, in a relief for over 1.5 lakh students, on Monday announced to continue the semester system for Class XII Science students for another year. The system would eventually be scrapped with the end of the current academic session.
In another important decision, the state government in a release stated that students who had passed the Class XII Medical stream in March this year could now opt for engineering colleges after clearing Mathematics exam. “If medical students want they can apply and take admission in engineering colleges. For this, they have to clear Mathematics examination to be conducted in August end this year. The GSHSEB will conduct the examination which will be MCQ (multiple choice questions) and OMR (optical mark reading) based format, including 100 marks Class XI and equal marks of Class XII curriculum,” stated the release.
- Gujarat to name and shame teachers for mistakes in school test evaluation
- New exam pattern for Class X, XII students from 2020, Gujarat Board now follows CBSE in (letter) books and (spirit) exams
- GSEB 12th result 2018: At 73%, Gujarat records lowest Class XII Science success in 5 years
- GUJCET 2018: Over 1.36 lakh candidates appear, students rate paper easy
- Gujarat HSC Science stream exams: To help pass NEET, Board mulls 100 per cent MCQs
- Remedial exam for Class XII Science students to save one academic year
By this, the state government also came to the rescue of engineering colleges where thousands of seats go vacant every year. This year too over 30,000 seats in engineering colleges are likely to go vacant. The medical students clearing Mathematics test could apply for the remaining seats only as the admission process has already started.
The state government on June 6 had announced to scarp semester system in school education from Class IX to Class XII (science stream) after a five-year run, following numerous representations by students, parents and education institutions. However, after the announcement on Monday, the GSHSEB would conduct both semester exams for existing Class XII students.
The merit list would be prepared, considering all four semesters (two from the previous year). Also, there will be no change in Class XI and XII curriculum.