Students planning to make a career in the field of fashion, styling, jewellery-making, shoe designing, textile designing, interior designer, graphic designing, etc can get admission in the best fashion and design institutes by qualifying the entrance examination.
Here is the list of seven fashion and design entrance exams which class 12 passed candidates can take for admission in session 2020-21.
1. NIFT: National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is one of the most popular admission choices for fashion aspirants. Some of the most prominent fashion designers like Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Rohit Bal, Manish Arora, etc. are alumni of the institute. There are 16 campuses of NIFT, which offer admission in Bachelor of Design (B.Des) in accessory design, fashion communication, fashion design, textile design, leather design, and knitwear design. Other than this, Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.FTech) is also offered by the institute.
Admission in B.Des courses is done based on the Creative Ability Test (CAT) and General Ability Test (GAT), followed by the Situation Test. The online registration for NIFT admission 2020 is open right now. Candidates can apply from the official website, nift.ac.in. The last date to apply is December 31 and the exam will be held on January 19, 2020.
2. NID DAT: National Institute of Design (NID) is another top design institute in India. It offered B.Des in ceramic and glass design, furniture and interior design, product design, animation film design, exhibition design, film and video communication, graphic design, and textile design.
The Institute holds Design Aptitude Test (DAT) to fill B.Des seats. DAT is a two-stage examination. Candidates first have to qualify prelims and those who make it are called for the main exam. Institute then holds counselling for DAT Main qualifying candidates. Registration for DAT is also open and the last date to apply is November 7, 2019.
Prelims for DAT will be held on December 29 and the Main exam is due to be held on April 14, 2020.
3. IIT-UCEED: IIT Bombay conducts the Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED) for admission of candidates in Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) course. The exam is conducted across selected cities in India and also abroad, for admission in IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, and IIITDM Jabalpur. The score is also accepted by 21 other private institutes like VITEEE, Manipal University, etc.
IN VIDEO | IIT teacher: Why do parents need to know the scope of a course?
This is a direct ticket for the candidates to get admission in the IITs. Application form for UCEED is available until November 9, 2019 and the exam is scheduled to be conducted on January 18, 2020.
4. Pearl Academy Entrance Exam: Pearl academy has four campuses in Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai, and Noida. The UG courses in the academy are for fashion designing, fashion styling and image design, textile design, fashion and lifestyle business management, and global luxury brand management.
Admission is granted as per performance in the entrance exam and interview round. In total, there are three admission cycles, in January, April, and June. The dates for Pearl Academy January and April admission cycle 2020 has been announced. Forms are also available at pearlacademy.com and the last date to apply is January 5, 2020.
5. FDDI AIST: Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI) is the place for aspirants looking forward to making a career in footwear designing. UG admission in the institute is done on the basis of All India Selection Test (AIST), in B.Des footwear design and production, leather goods and accessories design, fashion design, and BBA in retail and fashion merchandise courses.
Online registration for FDDI AIST will open in the month of January 2020 and the exam will be held in May 2020. Candidates who will qualify the exam will get admission in FDDI Noida, Fursatganj, Chennai, Kolkata, Rohtak, Chhindwara, Jodhpur, Guna, Patna, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, and Ankleshwar campus.
6. AIEED: ARCH College of Design and Business conducts All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED) for B.Des and BA Design admission in fashion, interior, jewellery, product, design communication, and business studies. AIEED consists of two stages which are General Aptitude Test (GAT) and Creative Aptitude Test (CAT).
Online registration for the exam is open on aieed.com. GAT will be held from December 1 to 15, 2019, whereas, CAT will be conducted between December 2 to 19, 2019. It should be noted that candidates who will qualify GAT will only be called for the CAT.
7. MIT-ID DAT: MIT Institute of Design (MIT-ID) offers 260 seats in B. Des and B. Des Fashion programmes. The intake of the candidates is done as per the Design Aptitude Test score, followed by a studio test and personal interview.
The registration for MIT-ID DAT started in September and the last date to apply is February 29, 2019. Candidates can apply from mitid.edu.in. MIT will hold DAT on April 5, 2020, and the candidates who will qualify it will be called for studio tests and interviews in the month of May 2020.