scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Thursday, October 22, 2020

Nearly 98% of JEE Advanced candidates allotted exam city from top 3 preferences: IIT-Delhi

This year, a total of 1,60,831 candidates had registered for the exam. Of these, 1,55,511 students had submitted their fee. About 2.5 lakh candidates were eligible to apply for the IIT entrance test.

By: Education Desk | New Delhi | Updated: September 29, 2020 9:28:19 am
iit jee advanced result date 2020, iit jee advnaced answer key 2020, jeeadv.ac.in, jee advanced 2020, education news, iit admission, college admissionJEE advanced 2020 was held on September 27 (Representational image)

IIT JEE Advanced 2020: As many as 97.94 per cent of candidates who have registered and paid the fee for IIT JEE Advanced 2020 have been allocated examination cities, which fall under the top three choices they had made during the registration, claims the exam conducting institute IIT-Delhi. The rest of 2.06 per cent has also been allocated exam cities from eight choices made by them during registration.

LIVE UPDATES | JEE Advanced 2020 Answer Key today 

This year, a total of 1,60,831 candidates had registered for the exam. This is a three-year low. About 2.5 lakh candidates were eligible to apply for the IIT entrance test. The number of candidates who have paid their fee falls even further to 1,55,511, as informed by the IIT-Delhi.

Read | IIT-Delhi launches BTech in engineering and computational mechanics

Over 62 per cent of the candidates who have not paid their fee has also been allocated exam cities from their top three choices, claims the IIT. All registered PwD candidates have been allocated exam centre their first choice of preference, irrespective of their fee payment status, claims IIT.

“The shortage of nodes in some regions resulted in the allocation of examination cities beyond top three choices and that too only for a small fraction of the candidates, ” the IIT said in an official statement. “The examination cities to the candidates have been finally allocated completely randomly, based on an advanced algorithm, to achieve the most efficient distribution. The algorithm also takes note of the fact that these are challenging times because of COVID-19 and physical distancing needs to be maintained at each center to ensure their safety,” it added.

Read | Discussion on increasing JEE Advanced attempt in JAB meeting 2021: IIT-Delhi director

To facilitate travel for these candidates, IIT alumni have offered a platform called Eduride. It is a dedicated portal to arrange transportation facilities for students in need. Students and volunteers who can offer help by offering driving or a vehicle or funds can do so at eduride.in.

Despite the dip in the number of candidates, the number of exam centers has been increased from 600 last year to 1000. The number of exam cities has also been increased from 164 to 222, as per the IIT-Delhi.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Education News, download Indian Express App.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement