scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, August 13, 2022

Surat: 20 students rescued from a library room after building catches fire

While shopkeepers of the complex immediately shut their shops and exited the building, the fumes prevented the students from taking the stairs.

By: Express News Service | Surat |
Updated: February 24, 2022 6:37:06 am
Fire officials carried out rescue 20 children from library hall on the top floor of a commercial complex at Dabholi in Surat city, on Wednesday evening. (Express Photo by Hanif Malek)

Twenty students were Wednesday rescued from a library in Surat after the building caught fire and the smoke trapped them on the fourth floor. No casualty was reported in the incident.

According to fire officials, the fire broke out in a godown on the ground floor of Divine Shopping complex at Dabholi, whose fourth floor houses the library.

While the rescue operations were on, the parents of all the students gathered at the spot. (Express Photo by Hanif Malek)

The smoke emitting from the godown reached the fourth floor, where 20 students were studying. While shopkeepers of the complex immediately shut their shops and exited the building, the fumes prevented the students from taking the stairs, and they had to be rescued by the fire department.

Another team from the department extinguished the fire. While the rescue operations were on, the parents of all the students gathered at the spot. Surat city Mayor Hemali Boghawala and municipal officials also reached the area after learning about the incident.

Subscriber Only Stories
Seven decades since Independence, it’s high time our films reflecte...Premium
India still fails its women, 75 years after IndependencePremium
Cricket chases the American dreamPremium
Self-regulation: Divide among Big Tech firms on way forwardPremium

Sources said the library was built by Divine Trust, which constructed the building. Students of the neighbourhood were allowed to use the library hall for reading for free by the trustees.

The fire was brought under control after two hours and at present, cooling activity is in progress.

Chief fire officer Basant Pareek said, “The fire has been brought under control. No casualties took place. We have rescued 20 students and a few others who were trapped on the top floors of the building. We suspect the fire was caused due to an electric short circuit in a godown storing plastic items. We will check whether the complex has fulfilled all the fire safety norms or not.”

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Surat News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
First published on: 23-02-2022 at 10:46:44 pm

Featured Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement