Three days after blast, ball bearing removed from victim’s head

Jaswant works at the Shree Swami Samatha Snacks Centre, located adjacent to the blast site.

By: Express News Service | Pune | Published: July 14, 2014 10:43:37 am

Three days after Jaswant Mataprasad Singh (23) was injured in the IED blast that took place in the parking lot of Faraskhana and Vishrambaug police stations, a ball bearing was removed from his head after a surgery at the Ruby Hall Clinic here on Sunday.

Jaswant works at the Shree Swami Samatha Snacks Centre, located adjacent to the blast site, a few feet away from the Dadgusheth Ganpati Temple, which has been on the radar of terror outfits.

Jaswant was given basic treatment after he received a head injury in the blast on Thursday. Later, he was reportedly called by different police teams as part of their inquiry even though he was suffering from a severe pain in his head.

After he told the snacks shop owner, Dattatraya Jadhav, who is also a local Shiv Sena leader, about the “growing pain”, the former took him to the Sassoon hospital and he was admitted in ward number 2 on Saturday afternoon.

There was, however, a delay in his treatment due to some technical problem in the CT Scan machine at the hospital. After a fight with doctors at the hospital, Sena office-bearers, including city chief Ajay Bhosale, his deputy Sanjay More, Javed Khan and Jadhav, got Jaswant discharged from the Sassoon hospital around 8.30 pm and took him to Ruby Hall Clinic. Sassoon authorities, however, said their technicians were repairing the CT scan machine and the hospital was ready to treat Jaswant, but he did not wait.

Meanwhile, a CT scan was conducted on Jaswant at Ruby Hall Clinic on Saturday night. It confirmed the presence of a metallic object in his head. Sujata Malik, medical director of Ruby Hall Clinic, said, “The operation was conducted on the blast victim on Sunday. A ball bearing was surgically removed from his head. His condition is stable.”

Meanwhile, Sainiks claimed that the government and the police machinery failed to provide good treatment to the bomb blast victim, who was also a crucial witness in the terror attack. Sainiks alleged that Jaswant’s injury was ignored as the police continued to call him for investigation.

“Had the ball bearing remained in Jaswant’s head, it could have caused serious complications for him in future. He is out of danger now,” said Jadhav.  Jaswant, who is from Uttar Pradesh, lives alone in Pune.

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App