March 25, 2009 2:05:28 am
Tata Motors has re-recruited many employees who were let go in November and December last year. Though it is said that an increase in production could be the reason,company officials say that the move has nothing to do with the production of Nano,which is not going to be produced in Pune.
The Tata Motors Employees Union president Sujit Patil said that the number of temporary workers have definitely increased over the last three months.
In November,the Tata Motors had announced lay offs of 3,000 workers and had shutdown for a limited period in these two months.
The number of temporary workers are directly related to the production schedule and this has improved in the last three months. So,there has been an increase in the number of the workers, said a Tata Motors official.
Officials said that the Tata Motors,which is into the production of commercial vehicles and SUVs,has increased the numbers of despatches since January. This had led to an increase of about 50-60 per cent in temporary workers.
The Tata Motors spokesperson Debashish Ray said that this was a regular feature in all automobile factories and sought to downplay the move. There was nothing extraordinary in what was happening in November and December. This is a year-long process and the cycle goes on. Temporary assignments are by nature temporary. When assignments come up,we recruit workers and when they end,we let the workers go, said Ray.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.