Sports round-up; Goldfield-Mandke Shield: Deccan champs

Sports round-up; Goldfield-Mandke Shield: Deccan champs

Deccan Gymkhana lifted the Goldfield-Mandke Shield after winning their final against Amanora Star by nine wickets at PYC Hindu Gymkhana on Friday.

Goldfield-Mandke Shield: Deccan champs

Deccan Gymkhana lifted the Goldfield-Mandke Shield after winning their final against Amanora Star by nine wickets at PYC Hindu Gymkhana on Friday. Deccan’s Amey Srikhande,who scored half centuries in both innings,won the Man of the Match award. Rahul Tripathi,who scored 68 and 73 in Deccan’s semifinal victory over Cadence Cricket Academy,was adjudged Man of the Tournament.

Kaustubh Patil of PYC Gymkhana was adjudged best batsman,and Kiran Adhav of Deccan the best bowler. Swapnil Gugale of Amanora Stars was given the best upcoming player trophy.

Amanora were on the back foot right from the beginning after they were bowled out in their first (40-over) innings for 174,effectively 124 with the loss of five runs for each wicket. Deccan took a lead of 118,scoring 277 for seven in their 40 overs with Srikhande scoring 92. Amanora fared better in their second innings,scoring 236 for four (effectively 216),with Gugale batting through the innings to remain unbeaten on 88. Deccan needed just 99 to win,but had to bat through their 20 overs to account for the runs lost for fall of wickets and ended on a comfortable 147 for one,with Srikhande and Virag Awate scoring unbeaten 60s.

PIFA to take on Prayag in title clash


Premier India Football Academy,Colaba,will take on Kolkata’s Prayag United SC in the final of the Abhijit Kadam Memorial football tournament at the Bharati Vidyapeeth Educational Complex ground on Sunday. The teams booked their places in the summit clash after achieving tense semifinal wins on Friday.

PIFA ended the run of local side Amanora Deccan XI,prevailing 4-3 in a penalty shootout after normal time ended goalless. Both sides missed a number of opportunities in regulation time,with PIFA having the bulk of the chances but Deccan XI coming closest,Prashant Pardesi smacking the crossbar late in the second half with a shot from 30 yards out.

Deccan XI fell behind early in the shootout,with Gajanan Rajurwad missing the first spot kick. Thereafter,the goalkeepers had little say,as Clifford Garrett,Sushil Kawde and Henthoiba found the net for PIFA while Sohail Shaikh and Abhijeet Shinde kept Deccan’s chances alive. Following that,it remained 3-2 as Shreekant Molingiri and George missed for Deccan and PIFA respectively. T Mong Khonesai made it 3-3,scoring off his team’s last penalty kick and keeping Deccan’s hopes alive,but Mohsin Khan kept his cool to win it for PIFA.

The second semifinal went into a shootout as well,with Prayag United taking it 6-5 after the 90 minutes ended with the sides locked on a goal each. Sesa went ahead through Chikwudi Chukwma in the 33 rd minute,and remained in the lead till the third minute of injury time,when Anjan Dey equalised for the Kolkata side.

With both teams missing one spot kick,the shootout went into sudden death,where Prayag’s Bijoy Chakraborty managed to hold his nerve while Sesa’s Richard Colaco missed.

Pune FC sweat on Ar-Hima-Arrows result

With four points from two games in group D,Pune FC’s progression into the semifinals of the IFA Shield now depends on the result of the final group match between Ar-Hima and Pailan Arrows,scheduled for Sunday.

PFC got into a situation where they were dependent on the Arrows-Ar Hima match thanks to a disappointing 1-1 draw in their tournament opener against Arrows.

Arrows took the lead through Holicharan Narzary,converted a through-ball from George Alwyn in the 17th minute. Mandjou Keita came close to replying for Pune not long after,but his chest-and-volley attempt was placed too close to the Arrows keeper. A long ball from Douhou Pierre caused more confusion in the Arrows box,only for striker Subhash Singh to miss from close range.

The breakthrough finally came in the 36th minute,when Keita converted a penalty after Subhash went down in the box from a challenge by defender Prathamesh Maulingkar.

The game marked PFC goalkeeper Subrata Paul’s return to action after being out for nearly six months with a knee ligament injury sustained during the Federation Cup last September. The India number one made his presence felt and kept Pune in the game with fine saves either side of the half-time whistle. First,he came off his line to intercept an uncontested corner from Avinabo Bag. Not long after,he blocked a 30-yard effort from Bikramjit Singh. At the other end,Karma Tsewang missed a chance to put Pune 2-1 up,his close-range attempt blocked after he had exchanged passes with Shanmugam Venkatesh. The result left PFC needing a win against Ar Hima,preferably by a large margin,to stay in the competition. They duly won 3-0,skipper Keita starring with two goals and an assist. They had to grit their teeth and wait till the 68th minute for the opener,but once Keita headed in a cross from Srikanth on the right wing,they began playing with a greater sense of urgency,creating chance after chance.

The second took till the 87 th minute to arrive,Keita setting up Douhou Pierre’s neat finish from 10 yards out. A minute from the end,Keita caught up with a long ball from Shanmugam Venkatesh only to be brought down in the box by Loveday Okechukwu. Taking the resultant penalty himself,Keita sent the keeper the wrong way to put PFC 3-0 up.


Even more drama was to follow,with the referee calling a handball on Maninder Singh and awarding Ar Hima an injury time penalty. But Kelechi shot off-target to keep PFC’s clean sheet intact.