Throwing his weight behind authorities at the office of deputy director of education,who are taking an objection to excess admissions at Sir Parshurambhau College in the city,Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Monday said authorities are free to take appropriate decision as per the rules and regulations.
Pawar,who was in the city on Monday,was approached by youth leaders of different political parties on the admission issue. However,these leaders,who had drawn criticism for their unruly and savage behaviour with education authorities and college principal,failed to convince him.
These leaders,including a couple of local corporators,had earlier met Pawar in Mumbai over the issue. Following this,a secretariat-level official of the education department permitted excess admissions at the college despite the deadline for Centralised Admission Process (CAP) was over in July.
Speaking to Newsline,Deputy Director of Education (Pune region) Suman Shinde said proposal submitted by the college management for excess admission of around 77 students has been sent back owing to several loopholes.
The proposal did not mention the names of students to be admitted. Also,the management has not clarified if it will ensure required 75 per cent attendance of students. We have sought managements explanation on letter sent by it mentioning it does not have adequate infrastructure for excess admissions and teachers reluctantance to take extra burden, she said,adding 73 of the 77 students demanding admission at the college now,were allotted seats under CAP. SP College management could not be reached for comments.