From Songaon, a remote village in Ahmednagar district, to cracking the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), Bhushan Gandhi has come a long way. When the GATE 2015 results were announced on Thursday, Bhushan secured All India Rank 1, making his dream to become the first engineer from his family a near possibility.
“I used to study for 12-14 hours every day for six months prior to the exam. This was my second attempt. My first attempt was last year when I secured AIR-565. But I was not happy with it and hence tried really hard this time. I knew I would get a good rank, but never even dreamt that I would top the exam,” said an elated Gandhi.
“Ever since the results were declared, he has been so excited that he has hardly eaten anything. When I had once asked him what made him read the same study material again, he said every time he read, he did it with an ‘intent to improve’, and that is what makes a winner,” said Subhash Gandhi, Bhushan’s uncle.
- All-India JEE Advanced results: Three more from Tricity make it to top 100
- JEE Advanced 2018 results: Second rank holder, girls’ topper from Rajasthan; want to study computers
- JEE Advanced results: Real test will be my journey at IIT, says topper
- JEE Advanced 2018: All-India topper Pranav Goyal chooses Computer Science at IIT Bombay
- CLAT Result 2018: Ludhiana boy gets AIR 12
- GATE 2017 topper Ravi Shankar Mishra (AIR 3) shares exam tips, says follow day-wise strategy
Bhushan completed his schooling from an English-medium school in Songaon, Rahata. “I did two years of my BSc from Sinhgad College of Science and for a year, I was in my hometown. Then I did my MSc and last August, went to Delhi for GATE coaching,” said Bhushan, who has topped in Life Sciences with Biochemistry and Microbiology as his options in the GATE exam.
Bhushan wants to secure admission to IIT-Bombay for biomedical engineering. He is yet to decide whether he wants to take up research or applied fields. Bhushan’s parents, Pramod and Anita Gandhi, run a cloth shop in Songaon and his younger brother studies in Pune.