scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, April 16, 2021

Pune: Five cars gutted in fire at automobile service centre

It took at least four hours for five tenders from Pune Fire Brigade to bring the fire under control, which also caused severe structural damage to the service centre, said Fire Brigade officials.

By: Express News Service | Pune |
Updated: March 31, 2021 6:41:35 pm
Five fire tenders were pressed into action and it took four hours for them to bring the blaze under control.

A major fire was reported in an automobile service centre in Pune, located off the bypass road of the Mumbai-Bangalore highway near Baner, in the early hours of Wednesday. At least five cars, along with several stored objects and machinery, were badly damaged in the incident. It took at least four hours for five tenders from Pune Fire Brigade to bring the fire under control, which also caused severe structural damage to the service centre, said Fire Brigade officials.

Officials from the Pune Fire Brigade control room said they received a call about the fire at 3.15 am. Five fire tenders were pressed into action and it took four hours for them to bring the blaze under control. The cooling operation — which involves spraying water across the premises to prevent secondary fires — was undertaken later and went on for at least an hour.

– Stay updated with the latest Pune news. Follow Express Pune on Twitter here and on Facebook here. You can also join our Express Pune Telegram channel here.

Fire officer Gajanan Patrudkar said, “The service centre was closed when the fire started and because it was an enclosed space with almost no ventilation, very intense heat caused more damage in addition to that caused by the fire. Five cars, a car paint booth and some automobile service machinery were gutted. What further worsened the situation was a large storage of cartons in a separate enclosure that intensified the fire. Extreme heat caused heavy damage to the tin sheet structure… it took four hours for us to control the fire followed by an hour-long cooling operation. There were hardly any fire safety norms followed in the said establishment.”

The cooling operation — which involves spraying water across the premises to prevent secondary fires — was undertaken later and went on for at least an hour.

Patrudkar added, “With the onset of high temperature, the risk of poorly-maintained electrical systems having short circuits, and damage due to overheating increases. Fires cause by these reasons are more damaging because of drier seasons and high temperatures.”

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
x