The Pune unit of state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) has arrested gangster Anand Ganpat Jori alias Bhau (23) and recovered two pistols and three live cartridges from him. Acting on a tip-off to policemen Bapu Jambhle and Kashinath Ubhe, a team led by assistant police inspector Sumedh Khopikar laid a trap and arrested Jori near Alka talkies Wednesday evening and seized the firearms he was carrying.
- Fugitive gangster Dilpreet Singh, who shot at singer, arrested
- Man arrested for ‘Maoist link’ by ATS named in Elgaar Parishad pamphlet; Pune police seek more information
- From Boys to Gangsters: The ones who got caught
- Gangster Nehra admits to 25 cases of murder, attempt to murder, dacoities: STF
- Police arrest three members of a gang,recover Rs 7.8 lakh booty
- Gangster held,cops suspect SIMI links
A press release issued by ATS said Jori, a resident of Parvati Darshan area, is a member of the Sachin Dangat gang and was wanted in a murder case for the past four years. Police said that the Dangat gang had shot dead a rival, Ismail Shaikh, in 2008. Jori was arrested in this case. Later, after coming out on bail, he allegedly kidnapped and murdered one Balasaheb Kakre in Talegaon Dabhade in 2012. He was booked in this case on charges of murder, but had been evading arrest. Jori is involved in 21 offences of murder, attempt to murder, dacoity, extortion, vehicle theft and robbery.
ATS is also on the lookout for criminals involved in the illegal trade of firearms.