After preparing the list of nearly 9,500 illegal constructions, Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) will hand over the list back to the collectorate for issuance of notices. This decision is likely to create more trouble for the already short-staffed district administration, facing a threat of strike by the talathis.
According to the PMRDA officials, they have verified the list as was handed to them by the district administration and now want the administration to issue notices so that appropriate action can be carried out in the next two-three months.
Watch What Else Is Making News
District administration officials, on condition of anonymity, said it was not necessary for the PMRDA to send the list back to them as the PMRDA is the implementing authority. “There was no need to treat us like postmen to issue notices. We are already short-staffed and talathis are on strike demanding revision of timings. This additional work to issue notices is only going to delay the process. When they (PMRDA) are the implementing authority, they should carry out the action,” said an official.
The district administration carried out the survey as per the High Court’s order wherein they listed nearly 16,450 buildings. 7,000 of these were illegal buildings in the Haveli area itself, for which notices have already been issued earlier. After the survey the PMRDA was formed and the list was handed to them. According to the PMRDA officials, they got the list of the names and survey numbers and so felt it would be better if the administration pitches in to issue notices.
“This survey was carried out by the administration and so we have asked them. We have readied the list and we will be forwarding the same to them,” said an official from PMRDA.
“The list of illegal constructions also features constructions in Wagholi, Lonikhand, Narhe, Ambegaon and other areas and once the notices are issued and time frame is given, our agency will carry out the demolition drive.”
Incidentally, it was only two years ago on October 31, that a six-storeyed new residential-cum-commercial building collapsed during the early hours of morning in the Bhumkar Vasti on Narhe Ambegaon Budruk area. Twenty-four occupants of the ill-fated building — Pitaram Classic society — had a close shave as they managed to come out before the breakdown. The builder had erected more floors in it than were approved by the authorities.
“There are many such buildings which are constructed without taking the mandatory permissions and action will be taken against all of them. There will be a list of those buildings that can be regularised and those that have to be pulled down after further discussion,” said the official from PMRDA.
Even last month, 445 construction sites were issued notices by the PMRDA asking contractors to furnish details of the permission granted for construction. The notices were served after PMRDA’s preliminary investigations found certain illegalities pertaining to the sites.
PMRDA officials have stated that there are rampant illegal constructions in their jurisdiction and once the notices are issued they will initiate pulling down these constructions.
The body is also checking on Non-Agriculture permissions and a detailed report has been sought from the district administration on illegal use of NA permissions by contractors and advertisers.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines